List:       kde-promo
Subject:    RE: [kde-promo] KDE League Issues
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2002-02-12 15:51:41

	Hi,

I entirely agree that the KDE League should make its actions more public. We
all have the impression that it was once created but that absolutely nothing
has happened since.

Andreas told us that he was finilizing the budget someting like 6 month ago
and we have never heard about anything since.
I would appreciate a periodical report of what's going on : meeting, new
members, actions.
I would also like to know what we can actually expect from the KDE League in
term of support and promotion. For the moment, I would say nothing!

Expo/Research/Talks are indeed places where a support of the KDE League
would be expected. If there is a reason why the KDE League doesn't want to
support this kind of thing, then let make a clear statement about this.

> The KDE League offers no means of people submitting requests for funding
or
> gaining some kind of relationship with the League for promotional work
other
> than mailing the board members and begging.

I agree too.

Who shall we contact to request support ? What kind of support can be worked
out ? What can we expect ? What should we prepare for getting help ?

> Andreas felt it was not necessary that the League publish information on
what
> they are doing. I disagree, but what do you think?

I disagree too!

The KDE project once made it clear that there would never be a KDE Fundation
because KDE's decision are taken openly on the KDE lists, by the KDE core
developers. The KDE League is a big exception to this. I have a better idea
of what's going on in the Gnome Fundation than in the KDE League!

Of course, the people who have put the money inside KDE League decide what
is done with it. I have no mean to require anything from the League but just
like Jono and probably many other, I want to know if the League is really
supporting KDE and how.

I do not agree with Jono on the fact that the League should sponsor research
or usability study. Those thing are expensive and can be done without money.
But printing a big K poster like the one David Faure got for the Linux Expo
(not from the KDE League) and sending it to Expo organisers is a cheap
action.

Talks about KDE certainly brings many developers and promote KDE a lot. So
yes to travel expense could be supported by the league in my opinion if the
target audience looks appropriate.

On a sidenote, Jono, you should be more careful. KDE and the KDE League
don't owe you anything. Whatever you gave (and you gave much, to the
project, thanx), you gave it for free. Every decision you make to spend
money for helping KDE is your own. Right now, there is nothing  that makes
me think about any promised support, especially finicial, from anyone. The
T-shirts at the Paris Linux Expo were printed on Gerard's own money and if
none would have been sold, he would have lost 600 euros.

I remember a mail from Tink one year ago expressing exactly the same feeling
as yours. There is money but nobody knows how it is beeing spent and if any
support is available from the League. Just like you I feel this is not the
way it should be done. But I won't bet any penny on a financial support.

I would really prefer that the KDE League member create a non-profit
association with an open budget and a clear stance on what is being done.

	regards,

	Philippe