List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] numbers... [Re: Are we going to do anything about this?]
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-12-21 18:27:35

[sorry Waldo for the post - I jumped too late and promise to continue thread
on kde-promo, if it's continued...  Need to subscribe first...]

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 22:44, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2001 00:28, aleXXX wrote:
> > I'd say at least in germany probably more than 90 % of linux boxes run
> > kde, due to the fact that these linuxes are mostly Suse, it's probably
> > very different in the usa.
>
> During LinuxTag last year, in Germany, it was about 80% KDE versus 20%
> GNOME, not counting those who didn't run either, mostly projects related to
> X-specific stuff or SDL/openGL stuff.
>
> This summer at LWCE in San Francisco, it was more like 70% GNOME versus
> 30% KDE.

so what are these numers exactly?
Number of companies' stands with GNOME (or KDE) installed?
Than you may want to think that there is no KDE or GNOME in Russia at all (as
there is no LinuxExpo) - and this is not true!

> KDE might be bigger than GNOME when combining USA and Europe, but I'm
> pretty sure it's not as far away from 50-50 than some people think/hope.

I believe this is distribution-specific split.
KDE is promoted by Mandrake and SuSE (although there is a GNOME in those
distributions as well), GNOME is promoted by RedHat.
This probably accounts for 90% of all Linux'es *sold*.
Note the word *sold*, as none (so far) counts number of downloads from ftp
servers.
Europe is dominated by SuSE and Mandrake, therefor there is no surprise that
KDE has a lead in Europe.
As about US - it seems that RedHat is focused in Corporate market. It's not
going to Home users or SOHO. So, would you mind if "that nice server in
server room runs GNOME desktop"? Or that "GNOME is prefered Desktop on 11000
Google servers" (just guessing, as Google was using RedHat)?
Anyway, marketshare of RedHat in US (and so GNOME marketshare) is also
questionable.
Latest polls by ZD-Net show that 44% of users prefer Mandrake, around 29% -
RedHat, and 19% - SuSE. So RedHat has no clear dominance on user's desktops
nowdays, therefor I suggest that KDE is leading desktop in US as well.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)