List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Are we going to do anything about this?
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-20 22:34:51

Hi,

On Thursday 20 December 2001 23:52 pm, Richard Bos wrote:
> [taken from the kdevel list]
>
> And this means that your department will be charged for supporting 2
> operating systems: MS and Linux.  This in the end makes Linux more
> expensive than windows...  As the IT department now needs to maintain an
> image of MS windows to be able to run with win4lin.  With all the hassle of
> updates and things related to it.  Which department will sign for a free OS
> that cost twice as much as MS windows....??

Umm, wrong calculation. Since you bought the machines already with MS
license, then you can re-use it with win4lin since the machine has been
formatted with Linux, and you still have the Windows license.

And as I said before - if you don't have a complete solution for the switch,
then stick to what you got. If you're linux solution fits your department -
then move.

--
Hetz Ben Hamo
hetz@kde.org