List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE and Fosdem Press Release
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2001-12-28 9:23:51

	Hi,

Here is the draft for the press release of KDE for the Fosdem. Any comments
and improvements on the content or on my english are greatly appreciated.

---
As in many other Free Software projects, KDE developers are spread around
the world and talk only by means of email and irc. A meeting like the FOSDEM
allow them to meet face to face, to discuss and exchange ideas in an easier
and more effective way. In the past, such meetings (Erlangen, Trysil) have
had
very positive effects on the project, leading sometimes to major
breakthrough
(creation of DCOP, KDE's Desktop Communication Protocol)

This year, we expect around 20 KDE developers, working on various area of
KDE:
Richard Moore, Matthias Kalle Dallheimer (core-KDE development), Laurent
Montel (KOffice), David Faure (KOffice, Konqueror, core-development),
Michael
Goffioul (Printing architecture), Rob Kaper (KGames), Thomas Capricelli
(boson),
Jono Bacon (usability), Richard Dale (Java, C and Objective C bindings), ...

Many enthusiasts will join the crew and we hope to present KDE
developments to many visitors.

The FOSDEM also encourages exchanges with other projects, either concurrent
or complementary. For example, KDE developers will take the opportunity to
discuss with developers of Gnome, Mozilla and GNUStep, which are also
holding a meeting there. This will benefit in tighter integration and better
cooperation between the projects.

But let's not forget that the FOSDEM is about making people who have fun in
programming meet with other people who have fun in programming. We expect to
share this spirit with many people there, whatever project they are working
on, and to have great fun.

--

	regards,

	Philippe