List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: as far as theKompany is concerned
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2001-12-11 15:13:30

First of all, you already have an official answer regarding this.  I
write this from my personal point of view as an unpaid volunteer
helping to manage the KDE news site, at the risk of throwing oil on
the fire.

<rant>

These are some ugly words against the dot (already more than
adequately responded to in private), but getting back to the subject
of public relations for a sec, I'd like to point out that this group
of "theKompany hostile" people you refer to is probably increasing.

The proof?  I used to consider myself favourable towards theKompany
and what they were doing.  Today my hostility level towards theKompany
has been raised a notch.  As a dot editor, I used to be more than
happy to publish a valid theKompany story, or help preserve the
balance.

You may cast doubt on this, when in the past, to the best of my
ability as an unpaid volunteer, I have treated you and your
submissions with nothing but respect and sometimes even enthusiam.

I even personally "saved" some of the worse submissions by giving you
or your products mentions in the Quickies when there was no reason to
do this.  I've probably approved more theKompany stories than most,
sometimes even wrongly.  Why heck, I just gave you and your company
free publicity as recently as Sunday: http://dot.kde.org/1007932581/.
Do you know what the original submissions looked like?  I got no less
than 3 objections about giving theKompany free publicity in an article
having to do with *GPL* Quanta, a product rival to yours.

Now reading these words of yours, when in my opinion you should know
better, you've breached my trust, so how can I as an objective person
not treat articles from theKompany with more than a pinch of suspicion
regarding factual contents and claims?  As responsible editor, can you
fault me for being reticient to publish an article for which I have
reason to doubt the claims made within?  I would be naive to do
otherwise.

So theKompany_hostility++, certainly, but what would probably be more
interesting would be to plot a graph of the various attitude changes
to your company over time.  So much for public relations.

</rant>

On the bright side for you, I am only one of several dot editors, so
while I may no longer actively support theKompany, I will certainly
not oppose the work of some other editor in regards to publishing
valid theKompany news and articles.

-N.