List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Donations to KDE
From:       Daniel Naber <daniel.naber () t-online ! de>
Date:       2001-11-12 1:10:17

On Monday 12 November 2001 00:51, Marco Krohn wrote:

> well, the resonance to my suggestion was (to put it mildly) quite low. I
> am not sure if I should interpretate this as a sign that the idea is
> very stupid or not doable or whatever.

My personal opinion on this: we simply don't need the people's money, we
need their time. We need good bug reports, good translations, good and
up-to-date documentation and good software. These are things you can buy
for (much) money if you are a business. But KDE is no business, it's an
open source project.

If we need a server and bandwidth we will find someone who donates it. This
makes more sense in an open source project than to wait for people's money
and then buy the server and the bandwith.

It's similar for people: it's difficult to hire people because you cannot
guarantee a long-term payment. Also people who have a job cannot just quit
it for two month when they are paid by KDE.

In other words: KDE as a project works great, and I hardly see a way to
make it better with money.

Regards
 Daniel

--