List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE and the Euro
From:       Oliver Strutynski <olistrut () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-10-15 20:14:33

The Euro is coming and it's coming fast. (For those outside of europe and not
familiar with this topic: the common european currency will replace 12
national currencies staring January 1, 2001.)

- From what I have seen in some newsgroups and from my personal experience,
many Linux (and other flavors of unix) users still haven't figured how to use
(i.e. display, input and print) the Euro Symbol and there seem to be some
special problem with using the Euro Symbol in KDE applications, although most
apps should be well prepared for that new symbol cause they are (at least in
theory) Unicode-Ready.

I have collected some ressources about using the Euro symbol in Linux/KDE,
but could not found a comprehensive guide to this topic, especially when it
comes to KDE. Since time is running out (80 days left) and this is really a
hot topic especially for business users, I think there should be one central
place within the KDE family of web sites to host information about that.

I would love to volunteer or help with this, but have to admit, that even for
myself I was not able to properly euro-enable my system (I have the euro
symbol on the console only running both SuSE 7.0 and 7.2). So here's my part,
a list of "Euro on Linux"-related material on the web. If anyone else could
contribute, that would probably be greatly appreciated.

http://www.koffice.org/kword/euro.phtml - Pretty good when it comes to
character input, but not too helpful in the area of font mappings and
character encodings.

http://users.pandora.be/sim/euro/112/ - A great page with a lot of general
information about the euro, last update 2000-09-21 however, so there is no
information for KDE 2.x

http://groups.google.com/groups?th=7256fa52ef5c8f41 - (German only) Long
thread about using the Euro symbol within KDE 2.x. Mostly covers SuSE. Some
users reported new problems after updating to KDE 2.2

http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1236 - Mandrake Forum: Small
HOWTO for Mandrake 8.1, but does not work for all users. Some users reported
that pasting the Euro symbol from a web page to another KDE app worked, while
typing or selecting in kcharselect does not work.

http://sdb.suse.de/cgi-bin/sdbsearch_de.cgi?stichwort=euro+symbol - SuSE
Support Database: 2 Articles that deal with the Euro Symbol, no special
information for KDE.

http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_smasch/X11/euro.html - Preparing X11 for the Euro.

Bye, Oliver

- --