List:       kde-print
Subject:    Re: options available for Kprinter -o
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2002-06-13 17:55:35

Albert Wagner wrote:
> Where might I find the options available for the -o option of Kprinter?

You find them in the GUI ready to click... ;-)

Seriously: You want to use them on the commandline? -- Then you find them
in the documentation for your real print-subsystem (like CUPS, LPRng....).

All of the CUPS options are documented in the CUPS User Manual at
http://localhost:631/sum.html

Here are some options CUPS supports (I am no longer familiar with LPRng):

-o landscape
-o portrait
-o scaling=75    # use %-figure for image files; 100 covers the sheet as complete as possible...
-o Collate=True
-o sides=two-sided-short-edge
-o sides=two-sided-long-edge
-o sides=one-sided
-o media=letter
-o media=A4
-o page-ranges=1-4,7,9-12
-o page-set=odd
-o page-set=even
-o job-sheets=classified,topsecret
-o brightness=120    # for image files
-o gamma=1700        # for image files
-o hue=value         # for image files
-o saturation=percent # for image files
-o number-up=4
-o cpi=10            # for text files
-o lpi=10            # for text files
-o columns=3         # for text files
-o prettyprint       # for text files
-o page-left=value,  # margin for text files
-o page-right=value  # margin for text files
-o page-top=value    # margin for text files
-o page-bottom=value # margin for text files

A lot more options are printer-specific. Those are in the PPD-files used by CUPS.
You can use

    lpoptions -h CUPS-SERVER-IP -p CUPS-PRINTER-NAME -l

to query the server (also remotely) for the options, or "lphelp printername"
or "lphelp /path/to/PPD" to get a nicely formatted output of these (doesn't
work remotely). [lphelp is not installed by CUPS, it is a utility written by
Till Kamppeter from Mandrakesoft, but already spread to other Linux distros
like SuSE....]

Cheers,
Kurt