List:       kde-print
Subject:    Re: Cups server needed
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2002-05-10 12:50:34

Chris Howells wrote:

> Dumb question which is slightly off-topic:

If you promise to use KDEPrint as CUPS's frontend, I will in turn not
regard it as off-topic   ;-)

> do I need to run the CUPS server on
> my desktop machine

Yes. Think of the cupsd as replacing lpd from the old print-system.
You wouldn't try to print without lpd there, would you?

> (it's the only machine using the HP DesktJet 890C
> printer).

Your local print clients use cupsd as their local print server.
Think of CUPS being "its own client" in this setup.

> If not, what do I run instead?

Do not dare to run anything else!     ;-)

Cheers,
Kurt

P.S.: It is possible to setup a "pure client" CUPS
       environment (no local cupsd running) if there is
       a CUPS server running and accessible somewhere
       else on the network. However I still would not
       recommend it. The safest way even then is to
       have a local cupsd running (with no
       printers/drivers installed locally), as it will
       temporarily queue jobs locally if the remote
       server (with the printers/drivers) was temporarily
       not available.....