List:       kde-policies
Subject:    Re: Copyright holders email addresses
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-11 6:06:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Jaison Lee wrote:
>1) Many of the copyright holders of our files are corporations. There
>is Apple Computer, Sun, even MIT. These copyright notices generally
>don't have email addresses with them. The license policy says that an
>email is required, but do we want to require this of businesses as
>well? What email do we choose? Assume that legal@wherever.com will get
>to someone? Hunt down the legal adress for every company?

If anybody wanted to sue any of those companies for copyright
infringement, the email would be the least of their worries.

If those companies want to assert their copyrights, the email is also not
important.

Individuals, however, are much harder to track down than big entities.

If the KDE e.V. were to own any copyrights (but it doesn't), it wouldn't
require an email either.

>2) The use of c-in-parenthesis (C) is everywhere, but this has no
>legal meaning. Do we want to purge it? The word "Copyright" is
>definately needed, but I don't think the c-in-parenthesis actually
>hurts anything, other than perpetuating the belief that it is useful.

It should be ©. I don't remember what we concluded in another mailing list
about the forced use of non-ASCII characters in every file.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway