List:       kde-policies
Subject:    Re: Copyright holders email addresses
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-10 23:02:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Jaison Lee wrote:
>Now, there are at LEAST several hundred files in the kde codebase that
>have a header that references an AUTHORS file. Is this sufficiently
>compliant for the policy?
>
>Example from a random file:
>    Copyright (C) 2005, 2006 KJSEmbed Authors
>    See included AUTHORS file.
>
>It should be noted that the policy allows the license itself to
>reference an external document, so there is precedent to OK the use of
>an AUTHORS file.

Referring to an external file is ok.

Assigning copyright to a non-existing and vague entity like "The KJSEmbed
Authors" is not. The names of the copyright holders have to be clearly
stated for all files or collections of files for which the copyright
applies.

I cannot give you a legally-valid equivalent of "other trademarks are
owned by their respective owners" that we see on press releases for
copyrights. Maybe someone else knows a wording for that.

Until such time, don't invent anything and place the names of the
copyright holders in the source file.
  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway