List:       kde-policies
Subject:    Re: Possible legal issue with KVocTrain
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-15 20:36:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 20:27, Peter Hedlund wrote:
> Having said that IANAL, my opinion is that we should deny the request and
> keep the code in question. The decisive issue for me is a user's right to
> his data. Using the Langenscheidt software the user can create his/her own
> data files. The user has a right to the data in these files. We provide a
> possibility for the user to access his/her data and use it with other
> software. Langenscheidt's argument is that the code can be used to
> illegally modify and distribute their copyrighted material. Even though
> this is to a certain extent correct, the user's right to his own data files
> is greater.

Yes, I agree with your position. I think Langenscheidt's arguments are
baseless.

I have brought the issue to the attention of KDE e.V. and I expect that a
german attorney will contact the two of you to assist you in this matter. See
my other (private) mail.

> Probably the people at Langenscheidt can be convinced to
> change their mind when they see their benefit. I personally would prefer
> some kind of permission, even it were not necessary from a legal point.

Watch out with that, asking for permission can be construed as an admission of
wrongdoing affecting your legal position. Better talk with an attorney first
before you say, ask or do anything.

Cheers,
Waldo
--