List:       kde-policies
Subject:    Re: Proposal for P2P disclaimer text
From:       "Petter E. Stokke" <gibreel () project23 ! no>
Date:       2004-03-19 16:12:45

On Thursday 18 March 2004 19:10, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday 18 March 2004 16:44, Martin Köbele wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > after I just released Apollon 0.9.3 I asked a debian-developer to
> > update the repository. And I just had to learn that the proposed
> > suggestions (by Petter Stockke and Andreas Pour) violate the GPL.
> >
> > GPL §0:  "[...]The act of running the Program is not
> > restricted,[...]".
> >

> > So we can't restrict, we could warn though.
>
> Actually it's not an additional restriction -- it essentially says "You
> aren't allowed to break the law with this" -- which is stating something
> that is true whether you state it or not...

No, it isn't. If you agreed to a contract (or, in this case, a software
license) stating that you're not allowed to break the law, the party with
which the contract was made would have a legal grievance with you if you
did break the law, in addition to the State. Criminal law is one thing,
this would be quite another.

--
Petter E. Stokke <gibreel@project23.no> http://www.gibreel.net/
PGP key: http://www.gibreel.net/key.asc