List:       kde-policies
Subject:    Re: Proposal for P2P disclaimer text
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2004-03-18 13:35:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:36:04PM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> As far as I understand it, they are suing the users, not the vendors.

If you ignore the Napster and Kazaa cases, perhaps.

I agree with you that KDE can't adjust its policies for every single small
possible legal issue. But I also agree with the majority here that in the
case of P2P file sharing, it's not a small issue and indeed one that
warrants a proper policy.

> 1. Given that you know that P2P software is mostly used for unlicensed
> copying of copyrighted material, why do you continue to ship it?

As a service to law-abiding users of KDE.

> 2. Given that you know that web browsers and IM software can be used for
> unlicensed copying of copyrighted material, why didn't you add this
> disclaimer to that kind of software?

Because Kopete doesn't support file transfers (at least not for the handful
of protocols I've tried) and because Konqueror doesn't act as a file server,
both are incapable of illegally distributing copyrighted material. As such,
the issue (and disclaimer) do not apply to this software.

> OTOH, I'm fine with a KDE-wide disclaimer "KDE is network transparent.
> Therefore, almost every KDE application can conceivably be used for
> unlicensed coping of copyrighted material. yadda yadda." That would be
> much more trustworthy than singling out P2P software, which is just a
> funny way to do ftp/www.

I wouldn't mind to make the disclaimer more generic and allow it to include
a broader range of applications.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 3/19 The Offspring AMSTERDAM, 3/24 Good Riddance AMSTERDAM
cap@capsi.com | 4/29 The Rasmus LONDON, 5/11 Ghost of the Robot AMSTERDAM