List:       kde-policies
Subject:    Re: Suggested policy (was: Re: Apollon soon in kde-extragear)
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-13 17:01:03

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Well, this isn't about you, I don't care what you do on your own server.
> But for KDE it is a different matter since KDE is an international
> project and I think it is important that all KDE participants,
> regardless of citizenship/residency, can legally work on/with KDE
> without unnecessary risk of persecution.

Ehm.  Then please stop developing any software immediately.  Or doing
anything for that matter.  Because the risk of persecution it non-zero in
every case.  You use totally flawed logic.

> So if a specific piece of software can not be legally developed in one
> or more countries then that will deserve some special attention. There
> is some precedent wrt the US export restrictions on crypto although that
> was never an issue for KDE.

Not at all.  The past export restrictions just lead to the fact that
development was happening outside the US without involvement of US people.
Following your logic we would not develop such inside KDE CVS at all,
because in one country there was the risk of persecution.

It seems you all are quite proactive on this issue without any real
reason.  For instance who actually blamed KDE for distributing programs
having illegal uses (not even illegal programs I may remind, whatever
that shall be)?  You are trying to set up policies for fear of problems
which exist just in your head.  This is frightening.

Ciao,
Michael.