List:       kde-policies
Subject:    Re: Voting rights - the GNOME way
From:       Harri Porten <porten () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-11-23 19:58:32

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Harri Porten <porten@trolltech.com> wrote:
> > Do you have personal experience with either of them ? I'd be curious learn
> > about them.
>
> I was a long time Debian user and I hung around the Debian devel lists
> for a long time actually.  Then like many, I got rather discouraged by
> the whole political nature of the process.

[... some things we certainly don't want in KDE ... ]

> > But let's look at the trademark for example. We need a legal entity to own
> > the trademark and that is one of the reasons why KDE e.V. was founded. Who
>
> On one hand I admit I would like to ignore these matters, on the other
> hand I have to say that part of the dot being copyrighted by KDE e.V.
> does raise some personal issues for me.

Understandably. And we might want to discuss a solution to resolve such
issues. One way would be to let everybody who forms a relevant part of KDE
and the Dot to ratify the assignment to KDE e.V. The cooperation's
statutes already demand to act in the best interest of KDE. But the forum
of developers, translators and authors would still be in the position to
retract any assignments as an emergency break.

> But as far as I know, this matter has already been taken care of
> anyway, and nobody really had any say anyway.

:( Being an e.V. member myself I don't like hearing this. The list was
founded exactly for the purpose to make things more open and just.

> This was a nice arrangment and everyone trusts Martin and company.

The problem is that "Martin and company" get jobs, move away, lose
interest etc. It's in all our interest to make sure that we keep this
mechanism alive. We don't want to have a rigid system with numerous rules
and titles. But a timeless "constitution" might not hurt IMO.

Harri.