List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: KDE PIM Roadmap (Call to action)
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-16 1:12:24

#if Guillaume Laurent

> You really don't need a DB to manage personal info, not even if you have a
> 2000 records address book (even bbdb scales to that range without problems).
> It won't buy you any performance, only problems, because it's very easy to
> corrupt a DB, rather hard to back it up, and you have to administrate it.

And it's not hard to corrupt a text file ?

For kab2, I've used one-file-per-record. It's fast and safe.

You're right that a db isn't needed. It would be nicer to use one,
but end users don't often have one installed, so we would need to
provide one or require a small one.

Whatever backend is used, we'd have to have some kind of wrapper
between it and the app, so that stuff like QString marshalling can
be done.

Rik