List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: How this all fits in Mike's scheme
From:       "Adriaan de Groot" <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-06-15 23:15:48

On Friday 15 June 2001 18:52, Nick Papadonis wrote:
> Guillaume Laurent <glaurent@telegraph-road.org> writes:
> > On Friday 15 June 2001 17:10, Olaf Zanger wrote:
> > > that's about where my thinking differs. i don't think too much in a
> > > specialized "kde-pim-server" but in a generalized "syncing structure"
> > > AND "data storage" for ALL (kde-)apps.
> > Even worse since syncing is an incredibly complex problem. Data can be
> > modified on both ends, and when there's a conflict there is no
> > generalized way to sort it out, it's always specific to which kind of
> > data you're dealing with and what is its format.
> Maybe my thoughts on synchronization are off.  I thought we would have
> independent daemons for each device and a centralized PIM server to
> access the DB backend?

Well, I'm working on just such an architecture for the hardware end of
things, since I believe that there are specific issues for that part of the
picture. I'm still thinking within the framework Mike has proposed:

Conduits are things that talk to the central pim sever via DCOP and XML.
Conduits are used by applications to talk to the server -- ie. Korganizer
uses a conduit to access the datebook info on the server. A daemon is a
special kind of app in the sense that it talks to a hardware device. I've
just whipped up a suggestion for KitchenSync, a general framework for Syncing
that can organize our thinking about device syncing.

> Having indepepent daemons would create a specific method of
> synchronization for data at boths ends.  No?

Well, you're going to have a many-to-one sync from devices to particular
databases and there's going to have to be some kind of conlict flagging and
resolution, either in the server or in the conduits. Right now - since there
*is* no KDE-PIM server - I'm leaning towards putting it in the conduits after
all.