List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: eks -- data repository part 1 and 2
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-14 23:10:14

On Thursday 14 June 2001 16:15, Olaf Marc Zanger wrote:

> i want to dedicate some work to unified data repository effort (i
> call it eks).
>
> the base idea is layed out in an RFC [1] and brief milestones [2].

Hey, nice work. It's great to see that finally something seems to be
happening in this area.

> is there any plan to let kab access other data repositories as
>  * MySQL,
>  * PgSQL,
>  * LDAP,
>  * Outlook-pab files,
>  * Exchange,
>  * ... ?

See kab2. It already has a LDAP backend.

> would it help you if i would set up a PgSQL and/or MySQL structure
> for kab? --------------------------------------------

I don' think that storage method of data has top priority. We first
need a mechanism how to access this data in a decent way from
applications. Database storage should only be a special kind of backend
(read implementation detail)

> a ps file describes some exemplary interaction [3]. only some
> connections are exemplaryly drawn. the red links are supposed to be
> the first step (proof of concept). the blue ones would be the "royal"
> business scalable transportation links.

Sorry, I don't understand this diagram. Could you please explain a bit
more, what it means? What is data, which formats are used, which
transport mechanisms, which interfaces... What is part of the server,
what is part of the clients?

> the xml layer would be a
>  * equalizing layer for common access and what is more important
>  * for syncing and
>  * data transfer from one repository to the other.
>
> also this layer would allow to use
>  * two repositories at the same time for reading AND writing

Where are the repositories in the diagram?

> the compatibility layer
> would be kio-slaves for translating a xml data into a file format.

I don't undestand how Gnome-PIM and Netscape could make use of a
kio-slave.

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm just trying to understand your ideas.