List:       kde-pim
Subject:    DCOP in KPilot (was: A few KPilot questions)
From:       "Adriaan de Groot" <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-06-13 17:45:03

On Wednesday 13 June 2001 16:51, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> However, given that DCOP has already proven its viability and is very easy
> to put into application, I guess it might be a case where it's worth the
> hassle. If only because it will open your daemon to other apps.

Ah, but I never said I didn't want to use DCOP at all. Both KPilot and the
daemon have DCOP interfaces for setting some things ... sideband stuff you
could call it, that has nothing to do with the nitty-gritty of transferring
Pilot records in binary form between conduits and the daemon.

Actually, KPilot and the daemon don't exchange Pilot records at all afaics,
so they *could* do everything by DCOP. That would lead to the considerably
simpler:

Conduit <---kpilotlink---> daemon <---DCOP---> kpilot

as a communication scheme -- i think some of the nasty socket hangs are
caused by the fact that right now kpilot and the daemon communicate through
kpilotlink as well, but for *completely* different reasons than the conduits
do.

Cornelius is pushing me to do something about dead code and yuckiness in
KPilot, so there may actually be sensible changes soon.