List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Moving low-level calendaring code to own library
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-18 9:05:00

On Wednesday 18 April 2001 01:30, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > What would have an addressbook and a calendar server in common? I don't
> > think they would share much code. If the only reason would be to reduce
> > the number of servers I don't think it is worth the hassle of tying
> > together two separate applications.
>
> it seems fairly obvious (to me at least) that address book and organizer
> information are often used in conjunction with each other. therefore having
> a single repository for this data would make using the data easier and more
> flexible. some of the advantages/applications i can think of off the top of
> my head:

I agree that address book and organizer information are often used in
conjunction. But they are handled by different application using different
formats and access methods. Calendar data is stored in iCalendar and accessed
by iTIP or CAP, addressbook data is stored as vCard or in kab or on an LDAP
server, whatever. There are numerous options and to restrict this to one
common server would not add flexibility but take away flexibility. If there
are two servers for address book and calendar information they surely have to
talk to each other, but I don't think we would gain much by combining them.
Anyway, I don't think there is somebody planning to write a calendar server,
so this discussion is highly hypothetical.