List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Moving low-level calendaring code to own library
From:       Gregory Stern <stern () enews ! nrl ! navy ! mil>
Date:       2001-04-17 21:29:51

On Tuesday 17 April 2001 05:23 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> A while ago we discussed moving the lower level calendaring code from
> KOrganizer to an own library. Since KOrganizer now more or less cleanly
> separates the GUI code from the calendar data classes it would be a
> good opportunity to make this move now.
>
> I would create a new directory libkcal in the kdepim module and move
> the following classes to this lib: Attendee, Calendar, CalendarLocal,
> CalFilter, DummyScheduler, Event, ICalFormat, IMIPScheduler, Incidence,
> IncidenceVisitor, Journal, KOAlarm, KOException, KOErrorFormat,
> KORecurrence, QDateList, ScheduleMessage, Scheduler, Todo, VCalDrag,
> VCalFormat. All the classes would be enclosed in a new namespace "KCal".
>
> This split would create a library with a nice C++ interface to handle
> vCalendar and iCalendar data. It could be useful for all applications,
> which operate on such data like KOrganizer, KPilot, Kandy or command
> line tools for manipulating calendaring data. Another application could
> be a calendar server implementation.
>
> Are there any objections, comments, questions?
What do you think about extending your idea to become the entire kdepim
server.  This server would be able to handle DCOP calls for calender specific
information and address specific information (specifically it could pass the
ContactEntry class around for adding, removing, changing entries).  I would
be interested in helping to write some of the address parts.

Do you think it makes sense to merge these two seperate applications into one
kdepim server?   I think it makes sense; minimize the number of servers
running.  Thoughts?

--
- Greg Stern
   Naval Research Lab