List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: abbrowser future changes
From:       Gregory Stern <stern () enews ! nrl ! navy ! mil>
Date:       2001-03-21 20:46:01

On Wednesday 21 March 2001 03:30 pm, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2001 20:20, Gregory Stern wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 March 2001 01:50 pm, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > > And just how are you going to use this from a script ? If I recall
> > > correctly, dcop (the shell command) can't process any type which is not
> > > defined in kdelibs. Last time I tried it couldn't even grok a KUrl. And
> > > creating the serialzed data will be at least as complicated than a
> > > CGI-like QString, and makes the whole point of encapsulation totally
> > > moot.
> >
> > From my own personal tests, that is incorrect.  I have a test program
> > that I pass a QDict<ContactEntry> over DCOP from abbrowser and it works
> > great.
>
> I'm not sure you've read me correctly : I'm not talking about DCOP the
> protocol, I'm talking about dcop the shell command.
>
> > > I agree that what you propose would be useful too, but it will make
> > > things much more complicated for simple quick'n dirty importations.
> >
> > The implementation for that part is already done, as stated above so this
> > argument shouldn't apply.
>
> Is it as simple to use from a script as calling a shell command ? Ideally
> what I would like to have is something like this (say in Perl) :
>
> while (<MY_OLD_ADDRESS_BOOK>) {
> 	$entryString = parse_entry($_);
> 	system("dcop abbrowser addNewEntry $entryString");
> }
>
> That's trivial, implementable in Python, emacs-lisp, whatever. This is
> exactly what you need to do a quick'n dirty import. If your API is
> accessible only through a specific library, then bindings have to be
> written.
Hmm, I apologize for not understanding your point.

Is it necessary to support the scripting feature, especially initially?  I
can understand and think of cases when that need would arise but for most
programming cases that someone is writing an application in KDE, the
scripting method wouldn't be needed.  To me, the method that you are
requesting could be added in addition to the methods that take the
ContactEntry class.  I think it is almost a seperate requirement and could
warrent an additional method/methods.  Perhaps when we write the lightweight
DCOP kab app, we will add scripting support for entries as you mentioned.

Sorry for my ignorance (I am still pretty new to KDE), but can you point me
to some documentation that describes DCOP for scripting.  All docs I had read
about DCOP didn't mention scripting support that you describe.

--
- Greg Stern
   Naval Research Lab