List:       kde-pim
Subject:    KPilot Developer's notes for January 6th
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-01-06 13:28:39

[ I'm going away on vacation; Dan maybe you can forward this to KPilot-list
when it's up again, if only to remind people we're alive and working on
KPilot]

KPilot Developer's notes for january 6th 2001

Happy Millennium. I ([ade]) am off on a two-week vacation to
Calgary, so no KPilot news from me till (almost) february.

There have been several troublesome bugreports this week,
ranging from "all the conduits crash" to "daemon dies on
hotsync." That don't make me happy at all.

Done this week:

* Built POSE, the Palm Emulator, so this may help in testing
  stuff for the OS versions that I don't actually have.
  POSE is a real $#*%^ to build, but I can now actually use my
  PalmV on-screen (with a PalmIII skin, which is kinda weird).
* Replaced the addressEditor widget with something less stone-age.
* Added a nifty feature so that you can edit one address in two
  windows and they keep semi-in-sync. abbrowser doesn't have this
  (which means abbrowser has a bug :( ).
* #&$%#$ conduitApp doesn't turn the GUI on by default, so recent
  vcal crashes can be blamed on trying to create a KMessageBox without
  a GUI :( Changed the default values.
* Tried fixing some ugly icons. I'm no artist though.
* Teeny-tiny layout change in Address page of setup dialog.
* If you try to add records to the address book before you've done
  a HotSync / Backup KPilot has an empty AddressDB and doesn't deal
  with the address very well. Added a sorry() there.
* Added a doTest() to vcal-conduit.
* More cleanups in the debugging code. There's still a weird mix of
  code controlled by --debug and kdebugdialog style stuff. Functions
  kdWarning() and kdError() should be given __FUNCTION__ as their
  << argument, while kdDebug() should get fname as first argument.
  This will make all the debugs optimize away painlessly while keeping
  the warnings and error messages. Since messages may change status some
  time there's now a #define TEST_DEBUG that makes fname a weird object
  that can only be passed to kndbgstreams. So sensible combinations are:
        production:     NDEBUG defined, DEBUG undefined, TEST_DEBUG undefined
        test nodebug:   NDEBUG defined, DEBUG undefined, TEST_DEBUG defined
        testing:        NDEBUG undefined, DEBUG defined, TEST_DEBUG defined
* Actually KPilotLink::doFullBackup wasn't all that bad. Still, all the
  code needs going-over for i18n yuckiness. doFullRestore() was worse;
  also fixed up directory yuckiness.
          Note to self: text for user is i18n()ed, kdDebug() &c. is in
          english ('cause Dan or I have to read it :) )
* Finished integrating Heiko's patches. I believe that both HotSync and
  FastSync now do what the ought to do.
* Started adding a DCOP interface to the daemon.

Other stuff:

* It's a HotSync and a Pilot. I'll change strings in the source as
  I come across them. As for conjugations: I HotSynced, it HotSyncs.

Todo:

* Should just use the KPilotLink::config object to store all kinds
  of user settings instead of copying them from the config file to
  local variables, since this is just asking for inconsistency.
* Close bug 16457.html in some way.
* More vcal work
* Clean up more of the butt-ugly parts of the code base (less of this now!)
* Tell the KOrganizer docs people about KPilot
* KPilot is an i18n nightmare
  - The const char *s in the pilot databases can be addressed most
    easily, I think.
  - get rid of most of the strcpy, strcat, etc. But not all!
    We're stuck with pilot-link, after all.
* The password dialog in the popmail conduit is probably a very bad idea
  I think kdesud should come into play here. Anyway, a KMail conduit would
  be much cooler and safer. Sigh.

Things-to-be-considered:

* Splitting kpilotlink up into its various functionalities

--
[ade] at home: adridg@sci.kun.nl
Probably hacking at KDE2.