List:       kde-pim
Subject:    KPilot Developer's notes for December 20th 2000
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2000-12-20 11:56:36

KPilot Developer's notes for december 20th 2000

It looks like kdepim and KPilot aren't going to make the 2.1 release.
Darn. This does give us more time to deal with docs and bugfixes.
Every time I get something done though I find I've discovered two
new things to do :(. I hope Lukas will help out with a lot of the
i18n stuff though, since there is a LOT that needs fixing and I don't have
that much time. [I did some pleasant time-wasting by adding features to
konsole, bad bad bad]

Done:

* Moved all the (english) docs to the correct place.
* More doc fixes: use &kpilot; and &pilot; properly, added screen shots for
  various conduit setups. The docs still aren't complete but they're a
  darn sight better than they were.
* Handed the docs off to Lauri for polishing.
* Modal dialogs need exec() instead of show()
* Changes in kdelibs caused some dialogs to hang in slotCancel()
* Changes in includes means we have to include kdebug.h ourselves
* Get rid of cerr and use kdDebug or kdWarning or kdError as appropriate.
  There are still a very few cerrs left in places where we can't rely on
  kdDebug().
* Added #ifdef DEBUG to the debug sections of code. So KPilot now compiles
  without debugging stuff. I realise now that I should have stuck to the
  KDE kdDebug() guidelines, but, um, I didn't know they existed when the
  port from KDE1 to KDE2 started. Darn.
* Figured out a nice DCOP interface with Wynn (KNotes) for the KNotes conduit

ToDo:

* More vcal work
* Clean up more of the butt-ugly parts of the code base
* Detect memo-too-large in knotes conduit
* Try to reduce number of updates in knotes conduit
* Finally take a look at kab or whatever for the address book conduit.
  Should probably talk to Greg about this one too.
* Tell the KOrganizer docs people about KPilot
* Fix the button-enabling in the address app
* KPilot is an i18n nightmare
  - The const char *s in the pilot databases can be addressed most
    easily, I think.
  - KPilotLink::doFullBackup should cause i18n people to run away
  - get rid of most of the strcpy, strcat, etc. But not all!
    We're stuck with pilot-link, after all.
* The messages need validation - Pilot vs pilot, HotSync vs whatever
* The password dialog in the popmail conduit is probably a very bad idea. I'm
  sure kdesud or somesuch stores passwords for us and we should use it.

--
[ade] at home: adridg@sci.kun.nl
Probably hacking at KDE2.