List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Can anyone give status of kpilot?
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2000-07-04 10:33:19

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Christopher Molnar wrote:
> I am the Mandrake packager currently working on KDE2. I am wondering if I
> will be seeing a kpilot that compiles for KDE2 in the near future? What my
Aha. This (from kde-pim) may explain all the KDE2 questions we've had on
the KPilot list the last few days. I'll try to explain the status of
KPilot once more:

KPilot 3.1.x is the KDE1 version of KPilot. It is in /home/kde/kpilot on
the CVS server, and is under active development both in terms of features
and bugfixes (they go hand-in-hand). I'm the coordinating developer for
that effort. My primary purpose is to get KPilot 3.2.0 out and stable for
KDE1. This will be "real soon now".

KPilot 4.x is the KDE2 version of KPilot. It is in /home/kde/kdepim/kpilot
on the CVS server. I don't know if it is under development. Dan Pilone,
the original author of KPilot, is working on a KDE2 port, persumably on
that source tree. He's a busy guy though, and I got the impression that
the port -- more like a complete rewrite to integrate all the nice
features of KDE2 including parts -- was turning out to be more difficult
than Dan expected.

> objective is to make sure that we replace all basic portions of KDE1 with
> KDE2 for our next release.

If "compiles with Qt 2" is sufficient, then I can start applying the
porting guide to KPilot 3.1, so that KPilot 3.1 could be included with
KDE2. If it needs more, then we have a problem. But I wouldn't even know
what is "more" for KDE2 [see below].

> Any help you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated. I keep hoping that
> kpilot will compile with KDE2  (kdepim) in the near future.

What are the things that have to happen, then? I'd guess:

1 docbook docs
2 an up-to-date gettext file
3 Qt 2 compliant

We're working on 1, because the KPilot user's guide was stylistically
rather different from the rest of the KDE1 docs. We're even trying to do a
French translaton already (even though there are no localized French
binaries for KPilot).

ade [who doesn't have KDE2 at all]