List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Some pop3 kioslave enhancements
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-01-10 19:28:52

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Don Sanders wrote:

> It is reasonable simply. Define a slot for getting individual directory entries.
> Call KIOJob::listDir. Have the slot iterate over the KUDSAtoms in the KUDSEntry
> passed in, until the UDS_NAME atom is found, then append that to a list of
> message ids. (Or at least that's the way I remember it).
>
> But it's significantly simpler to process the raw data returned from the pop
> server. (Which is a CR seperated string of msgId-space-msgSize lines).
>
> If I start to support IMAP then perhaps I would swap over to using listDir if
> it means I could reuse the same source code for both pop and imap accounts.
> (I guess IMAP listDir would return subdirectories for subfolders and pop would
> never return any subdirectories).

I pretty much agree with everything else.  But I figure that I might point
out that this was my intended goal, to allow the same API for pop3, imap4,
and perhaps local maildir or mbox format maildrops.  Something that
parsing "raw" data wouldn't allow.  A bit more complexity, for a bit more
flexibility. ;)

- alex