List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Success w/ corba
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1999-09-28 16:58:58

Rik Hemsley wrote:

> Thanks to the excellent work done by the cuteidl team, I've finally managed
> to create a working model for a kabII CORBA server.

Hello Rik,
(this is no joke): Today I had a deeper look at some parts of the CORBA tutorial and \
thought that CORBA is really the best solution, as we do not have to take care about \
network interfacing and concurrent access and so on.

> ... Now I can start doing some real work. What needs to happen next is we make
> a decision - do we do all talking to kab using CORBA, or do we do it via
> a client library (libkab) ?

Ahm, don't we need both of them?
Example:
We create an IDL file and an implementation of the kab server and client executables \
using a CORBA interface. So far, we need no library. But now, if we want to connect \
kmail with the kab server, we need the client code (the user interface, the higher \
level addressbook interface) in a library where the other apps find common code for \
addressbook user interfaces. Am I wrong?

> The client library was to perform these functions:
> 1) Discover which addressbooks are intended for use (via KConfig)
> 2) Allow searching through _all_ addressbooks
> 3) Provide a wrapper for the nasty CORBA stuff

= higher level API (in the kind of the kabapi.h interface).

> Can anyone think of any pressing reason for us to continue with my plan
> for an API library ?

More a library like kfile currently is: common client code.

BTW: There is a lot of stuff left in the PIM module. Is it possible to concentrate \
the currently used code somewhere? I get confused, meanwhile. Greetings,
--Mirko.

--
Denn der  Mensch  liebt und ehrt den  Menschen,  solange er ihn
nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis