List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: KRASH release
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-09-14 12:46:53

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:

Hi Waldo,

thanks for the release schedule!

> GOAL OF THE KRASH (1.89) RELEASE
> ================================
>
> * Stabilize development.
> * Offer third party developers a convenient way to become familair with
>   Qt2.x / KDE 2.x
>
> REMARKS
> =======
>
> KRASH will be alpha quality software. It is not recommended to use
> KRASH for daily work. Although the API of KRASH should be relatively
> stable, CHANGES will be made to it before the final KDE 2.0 release.
> It is not recommended to release applications based on this release.

This should be softened to recommend to not release non development
versions. Of course developers are encouraged to contribute KDE-2.0
compliant developer versions. (Bazzar Style)

> Distributors should NOT SHIP this release without providing a stable
> and complete version of KDE as well.

This is of course necessary.

> 2. Feature freeze kdelibs in _4 WEEKS_ from now. (15-10-99)
>

> RELEASE SCHEDULE 1.89
> =====================
>
> 1. When: NOW
>    What: Determine what has to be done API-wise before 1.89 can be released.
>    What: Determine what will be released with 1.89
>
> 2. When: 15 Oct '99
>    What: Feature freeze kdelibs.
>
> 3. When: 1 Nov '99
>    What: Feature freeze kdebase.
>
> 4. When: 1 Dec '99
>    What: Release of 1.89 (kdelibs + kdebase only)
>
>    --- Everything unfrozen

I think that unfreezing the feature freeze of kdelibs should be more
midly. This implies that after the release of 1.89 we should consider to
try to not add too many new features and concepts. (There will be another
KDE after KDE-2.0)

> *  Mico changes (tinymico?)

Torben: ?

> *  New session management

Matthias E.:?

In general a lot of these topics are to be discussed at the KDE-II Meeting
in Nuremberg.

Regards,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
KDE:  A stable GUI for a reliable OS.