On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote: [...] > Here's a description of how to write to Maildir from man 5 maildir: > > The tmp directory is used to ensure reliable delivery, as > discussed here. > > A program delivers a mail message in six steps. First, it > chdir()s to the maildir directory. Second, it stat()s the > name tmp/time.pid.host, where time is the number of sec- > onds since the beginning of 1970 GMT, pid is the program's > process ID, and host is the host name. I do not understand what this is for. Can you please enlighten me? >Third, if stat() > returned anything other than ENOENT, the program sleeps > for two seconds, updates time, and tries the stat() again, > a limited number of times. Fourth, the program creates > tmp/time.pid.host. Fifth, the program NFS-writes the mes- > sage to the file. Sixth, the program link()s the file to > new/time.pid.host. At that instant the message has been > successfully delivered. --Stefan