List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Need for a general purpose database in KDE (maybe kab)
From:       dsanders () cch ! com ! au
Date:       1999-07-12 1:25:30

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Mirko Sucker wrote:
> Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > 1) I'm not too keen on the UI. That's not a problem - Don's having a go at
> > making a nicer one similar to MS Outlook.
>
> See my message to kde-pim today.
I have not seen this post yet, I am eagerly awaiting it.

> > 2) There doesn't seem to be a way to change what kab understands at run time.
> > For example, you can't add fields that kab doesn't know about.
>
> You may add fields to the backend (the database interface) easily, but you need
> to define a binary interface to the apps that simply does only provide what the
> entry structures provide. For the rewritten kab library, new fields may (and will)
> be added.
Hmm I don't quite understand this. It is definitely desirable for an address
book entry object to have a method which returns all fields defined for that
object, and to be able to add/update fields/values at runtime.

> > What I'd like is for kab to be able to handle extensions to its format and
> > to act as a CORBA server, with its UI as an OpenPart. This is the plan
> > anyway. kab  will be an essential core component of 'kde-pim' and these will
> > be absolutely necessary.
I fully agree with Rik here.

> > Food for thought, eh ? :)
>
> Definitly. But the problem is to unify our (Markus Wuebben and mine) and your
> plans.
Yes. I'm interested in hearing your plans.

BFN,
Don.