List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Akonadi-next and KAccounts
From:       Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-10 15:28:35

Hey,

as Akonadi-next is progressing nicely, can we start thinking about
setting up resources?

In Plasma, we have KAccounts, which serves as a central place for
creating and managing accounts of all sorts, currently used only by
KDE Telepathy and Plasma Phone. It would be really great if Akonadi-
next would count with KAccounts from the start so that we can indeed
have a single place in the system to set up accounts. Or at least if the
way to set up resources would allow for easy integration with KAccounts.

It's based on the Accounts-SSO project used by Unity and Nemo/Sailfish
and others. The underlying tech (the libs and the signond daemon) are
all upstream but the maintainer is just awesome to work with, so we can
add things we might need. KAccounts is fully KDE project and we can
bend as we want/need.

Currently KAccounts has a plugin infrastructure where special UIs to
set up accounts can be provided as well as daemon plugins which
react to accounts being added/removed and its services enabled/removed.

So for example, to set up a Kolab account, there could be a UI plugin
which displays the form to input all the needed data and do some basic
validation of that data. Then the daemon plugin would do the resources
setting/creating itself.

That's about a quick overview of what we have. Let me know if you have
any questions and how can I help integrating Akonadi-next with KAccounts.

PS: There's a wiki/tutorial being written about how all this comes together
so there should be some public 'docs' soon

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer