List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Mail archival and storage format with Akonadi Next
From:       Martin Steigerwald <Martin () lichtvoll ! de>
Date:       2014-12-18 12:24:02

Hello!

Call me old fashioned, I still mostly do with a POP3 account and download =

mails to my laptop. I have an IMAP account for Fairphone mail access that I =

currently limit to last 30 days of mail by some find -delete cronjob on the =

server. But even if I switch to the IMAP account which uses server side =

filtering what I write now would still apply:

I like to archive old mails. With KMail 1 I did it like this: I let KMail m=
ove =

old mails automatically for some maildir folders, for others I did it =

manually, into mbox folders. This way I reduce the amount of files and mbox =

folders really work nice enough for read only access.

Why do I don=B4t like to use the other recent archival feature of KMail tha=
t =

packs them into tar archives? Cause they drop out of full text indexing and =

easy random access then.

Mail for me is KMail. Thats it. No web interface of any mailing list archiv=
e =

or webmail never came close enough for me to replace KMail with it. Zimbra =

came close, but yet, still regarding quoting behaviour and mailing list =

handling and other things KMail still beated it.

And why do I like the mbox storage for archiving? It reduces the amount of =

files in the file system and thus reduced backup time with rsync or in the =

future btrfs send & receive, although for the latter I am not sure to what =

extent. For rsync it will be noticeable I think. Even on SSD.

So I would love to see a way to archive mails efficiently while still havin=
g =

them indexes and in random access. I know mixed maildir resource still exis=
ts, =

but its deprecated. And last time I tried to through my KMail 1 mixed maild=
ir =

archive to it, it consumed the 8 GiB of the laptop memory and then ran into =

swapping. Well right now I have 16 GiB, but I never tried this again.

Maybe resource with a folder structure of several mboxes, but only mboxes, =
no =

maildirs? The current resource only supports one mbox file and for my purpr=
ose. =

As for efficient maildir access it may also be beneficial to look at how Do=
vecot =

does this with Maildir and Maildir++ formats, cause I think Dovecot is fast=
. =

Pretty fast.

I always wondered whether there are even more efficient storage formats, i.=
e. =

something between mbox and maildir. And I thought Dovecot would be supporti=
ng =

one, but I don=B4t see a hint to it, so maybe thats it.

Even with an IMAP account I would like to archive old mails to reduce the =

amount of mails stored on the IMAP server.

Thanks,
-- =

Martin