List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KMail seems to loose connection to Akonadi at times
From:       Martin Steigerwald <Martin () lichtvoll ! de>
Date:       2014-11-01 9:36:26

Hello Pimsters,

I am using KDEPIM 4.14.2 at the moment and it mostly works quite well. Better
than others versions before.

Yet I have one issue: Sometimes it appears to me KMail looses connection to
Akonadi completely. Then it just sits there, displaying the blue retrieving
display I do not see often or for long anymore with my POP3 and Dovecot IMAP
setups at least (with Exchange IMAP at work this is a different story), or
displaying the wait animation at the folders I click on in the folder list,
while at the same time Akonadi is doing *nothing*.

It sits there like this then.

I can even restart Akonadi, but KMail would still sit there, apparently
waiting for an Akonadi that at the same time actually is ready to serve.

Only when I also restart KMail and just closing the window and starting it
again often is not enough, I need to really make sure the process is gone by
using killall kmail (with SIGTERM, no SIGKILL needed). Then everything works
again for quite a while usually.

I have this with my Dovecot POP3 + IMAP private setup and I also have this
with the Exchange IMAP setup at work both on the laptop as well as on the
workstation.

It was quite annoying so far since it often happened when I just wanted to
write a mail… and then its sits just there, doing nothing, while Akonadi is
running and in my impression ready to fulfill requests.

I have heard a similar report from a user using Exchange IMAP as well… but it
has happened only twice to him so far. I have it usually once or several times
a day. Depending on how much I use KMail.

I sometimes have the impression that it can more easily happen after Akonadi
was under load.

Before I report a bug tough, I want to have some help on how to provide the
necessary information.

For now its just assumptions on my side.

So how do I diagnose DBUS connection between KMail and Akonadi? How do I see
whether KMail still sees Akonadi? How can I test whether Akonadi is still up
fine – hmm, I bet on this one I could just fire Akonadi console. How can I watch
whether KMail still communicates with Akonadi and Akonadi actually receives
it.

I would really like to tackle this, to find whats going on there, to provide a
useful bug report. As this is one of the last issues I have with Akonadi +
IMAP. With my Dovecot setup on the BTRFS RAID 1 laptop its usually blazingly
fast meanwhile on mail access for different folders. And even more so, it seems
to me with 3.18-rc2 kernel with enabled block layer multiqueue processing to
better utilize SSDs by using mutiple threads for I/O request processing.

Only other issue I saw so far is that sometimes MySQL seems to be really,
really busy for some minutes. Maintenance work? I bet I could try to run
mytop, or SHOW PROCESSLIST to find out more what it is doing at this times.
Then sometimes KMail waits quite long for an answer of Akonadi. But its
usually quite rare, more often happens with my Workstation since it uses Ext4
SoftRAID 1 on harddisks instead of utilizing SSDs I bet. I see quite some I/O
activity of MySQL process during that times.

Ciao,