List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Review Request 120395: Removed the minimum string length from Kontact quick search
From:       Andreas Gungl <a.gungl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2014-09-29 17:56:58

Am Montag, 29. September 2014, 16:55:46 schrieb Wyatt Childers:
> > On Sept. 29, 2014, 9:28 a.m., Dan Vr=E1til wrote:
> > > I generally welcome being able to search for three-letter shortcuts (I
> > > can't even search for "KDE" now :P), but I think that removing the
> > > string length constraint completely is not a good idea. At least one-
> > > and two-letter strings should be ignored - that's simply because
> > > matching "K" and "KD" will be expensive and will very rarely yield
> > > anything useful.
> > > =

> > > Also, you probably need to adapt
> > > messagelist/tests/quicksearchlinetest.cpp to this change, otherwise t=
he
> > > test will be failing.> =

> > Laurent Montel wrote:
> >     I already done last friday.
> >     Please update your source code.
> >     And yes correct fix was not to remove all checks :)
> >     Regards.
> > =

> > Wyatt Childers wrote:
> >     I was thinking about that, however, it seems kind of buggy that the
> >     interface doesn't respond. Also, someone legitmately might want to
> >     search for something like "BB" in a subject line.
> Also, other things search for short sequences, noteably the start menu, a=
nd
> krunner will act upon any length of text. Additionally, from what I found
> the way the search boxes are implemented, they don't perform the search
> until the user stops typing, thus unwanted searches for some letter, or
> some pair of letters would in theory be quite rare.

Would be good to be able to search for short terms somehow explicitly. For =

example, a search for a term (even if two letters only) would be triggered =

when ENTER is pressed.

Alternatively one can use an adaptive behavior, so the search for 'XY' is =

started only if you don't type the third letter within a given timeframe.

Best regards,
Andreas

-- =

Kindermode Online - Fashion for Kids