List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Documentation of Import + Export of Mails + PIM Data
From:       laurent Montel <montel () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-08-12 16:14:06

Le lundi 12 août 2013 17:38:45 Burkhard Lück a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> there are a lot of different ways of import/export with KMail, KMailCVT, Pim
> Setting Exporter, Import Wizard etc.
>
> To be able to provide proper documentation for KDEPim Users this needs to be
> sorted out/clarified and explained.
>
> As first step to get there I have collected all my infos about that topic:
>
>  Import + Export of Mails + PIM Data
>
> 0) Export / View single mails in KMail via File->Save As / Open
> Import via kmailcvt (mbox),

> in 4.12 via mboximporter?

Import mbox directly in kmail as kmailcvt but not necessary to select type of
file.

> Use case: Transfer single mails
>

> 1) akonadi_folderarchive_agent (needs a proper Name for GUI+Docs?)
> KMail Folder->Archive Folder or Archive Folder from a folders context menu
> Export of a mail folder and its subfolders to zip/tar/tar.bz2/tar.gz
> Import via kmailcvt (KMail Archive)

Wrong. Akonadi_folderarchive_agent it's a new agent in 4.12 to move some mails
in specific folder.

There is an menu "archive folder" with converts a folder to tar.bz*

> Use case: transfer single KMail folders(+subfolders) from/to accounts or
> computers
>

> 2) kmailcvt ("KMailCVT")
> Standalone + in KMail via File->Import Messages
> Select any location of archive / mail folder from different apps + import
> In 4.11 the only application able to import kmail archive, mbox, plain text?

exact.

> Use case:
> Transfer mails from different apps from any account/computer,
> e.g copy a top mail folder of another application to a USB stick and import
> that?
>

> 3) pimsettingsexporter ("PIM Settings Exporter")
> Standalone + in KMail via Tools->Export KMail Date -> Back up Data / Restore
> Data
> Import + Export of settings + data to/from zip Archiv
> Resources, Mail Transport, Config, Identity, Mails, Akonadi Database (more?)
>
> Use case: Transfer a selectable set of pim data, but only whole
> resources/transport/config/mails/akonadi data,
> no single mail folders or resources or identities or ...
>
> 4) importwizard (change name in GUI to "Import Wizard"?)
> Standalone + in KMail via Tools->Import Wizard
> Detects mail from other mailer applications in user account automatically
>
> Use case: Import all Mails from another Mail application in the user account
> into KMail, no transfer from different account/computer

exact

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel@kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090