List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10
From:       Vishesh Handa <me () vhanda ! in>
Date:       2013-03-17 14:31:35

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Andras Mantia <amantia@kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>
> > I know it is too late, but what about memory usage? Eating >300 mb of ram
> > is hard to justify, KMail+akonadi+mysql+nepomuk however happily eat up
> 1gb
> > and don't stop there - 2, 3 GB is quite normal it seems. That is just
> > insane...
>
> How did you meassure it? And do you use nepomuk for desktop search as well?
>
> For me (Memory usage with KSysguard, not the Virtual Size):
> Kontact (not only KMail, but also KNode, KOrganizer, etc.): ~800MB
> Akonadi server: 131MB
> Akonadi IMAP resource 1: 44MB
> Akonadi IMAP resource 2: 5MB
> Akonadi Maildir resource: 113MB
> Akonadi Nepomuk feeder: 48MB

Fixed. The feeder is now back to a couple of MB.

> Mailfiter agent: 20MB
> Kolab proxy: 8.5MB
> POP3 resources: 2x4MB
> Notes resources: 2x4MB
> KABC resource: 4MB
> MySql: 370MB
>
> Total: 1.5GB, but note that this is basically the full PIM suite with debug
> build, not only KMail.
>
> If we add Nepomuk (that technically is not only PIM):
>
> Nepomuk sotrage: 100MB
> Nepomukfilewatch: 11MB
> Virtuoso: 231MB

Is the storage service really taking 100mb? If you can reproduce this, do
you think you could run it in massif for a while so that I can see what is
consuming all that memory. It ideally shouldn't go about 20-30mb.

Virtuoso is just .. :/

> So another 400MB.
>
> Can we reduce this memory usage? Probably. Although the bits themselves are
> not too much, we could look at what could be done for the bigger users,
> like
> Maildir (although note that I have 300000 mails under it), the server and
> especially Kontact. Kontact is the top memory usage for me, followed by
> mysql, Xorg, firefox, virutoso, amarok (all these when I don't run KDevelop
> ;) ).
> We could indeed save on shared database between Nepomuk and Akonadi once
> virtuoso's sql support fits Akonadi's needs.
>
> Now back to your statement: what kind of memory usage would you feel
> acceptable for all this functionality?

From a Nepomuk point of view, consuming 50-100mb for all of Nepomuk is
acceptable. Anything above that is not. I can bring down the memory usage
of all of the Nepomuk parts. I'm not sure what I can do about virtuoso,
though.

Anyway, we cannot really block the marketing announcements cause Nepomuk is
consuming too much memory.

> Andras

Vishesh Handa