List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Akonadi + Microsoft Exchange
From:       Shaheed Haque <srhaque () theiet ! org>
Date:       2012-05-18 19:11:49

Well, I think you might have missed the action :-) over in the playground at:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/pim/akonadi/exchange/

Back in November last year, Robert added the first steps in terms of a
new Akonadi resource for Exchange based on OpenChange's libmapi. I've
extensively expanded that with the following results.

1. Reading the GAL works pretty well. Tested with 400k entries. There
is a VERY comprehensive attempt to map the semantics of the GAL onto
kdepim.

- Incremental sync is missing because (a) I cannot make head nor tail
of how to create SPARQL queries and (b) I cannot get the fast way of
doing that using Exchange OABs working.

2. Reading the Calendar also works quite well. For some reason
automatic updates don't work. But a right click works well for me!

- Exceptions were working until kdepim 4.8.2, when something broke
(still waiting for a response on the list to try to figure this out).
If you want to try this, you'll need a fix to OpenChange which has not
yet been applied upstream.

- Explicit timezone support is missing (though events end up at the
right time, not sure that will work through a timezone transition).

- Attachments in calendar items are not supported yet.

3. Reading emails works pretty well. As with the GAL, there is a
pretty comprehensive mapping of Exchange semantics into kdepim.
Attachments work well except that I cannot seem to get the time of an
attachment. Nested attachments work too. There is pretty powerful
support for uniquely identifying sender/to/cc/bcc etc. Synchronisation
works.

As you'll see, the big missing item is write support. I'm not even
going to look at that until I can get the main missing bits of reading
working for the GAL and the Calendar (and I've not worked on anything
much in the past month or two). Mail is third priority in any event.
Right now, a small amount of help would go a looong way to filling
these gaps, and help is very welcome.

Thanks, Shaheed