List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KMail and "Broken" imap resource
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-04-29 13:03:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Alex,

I am no expert on the IMAP resource so ervin might have a different opinion on
this.

On Tuesday, 2012-04-24, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Recently I have noticed that when a new imap resource is created KMail will
> emit a notification sayinng "Resource is broken, this resource is now
> offline".

We may need a way for the agent manager to tell a resource when it is starting
for the first time.
On first startup missing our confguration is expected so it should not result
in an error. Any further startup without configuration probably should.

> What happens is that imapresource will change its status to Broken when
> trying to connect with an empty configuration (actually when imapServer is
> not configured). This is very unfortuante since the flow to create an
> akonadi resource is:

Have you determined why it tries to connect to the server? E.g. is it always
doing that or is it reacting to some request by Akonadi?

> Since I'm new in Akonadi world, I'm unsure what is the best way to fix
> this, I thought 2 possibilities:
>
> 1-Patch KMail so it will only emit the notifiction * if * the resource is
> online.

IMHO that would just hide the problem and would have to be implemented
similarily in all displays of agent status. I.e. not a good idea.

> 2-Patch imapresource to set the status to Idle

Idle but also offline should be OK I guess.

> 3-Add a new status "NotConfigured" and set imapresoruce to it.

This is IMHO the best option for the long run. Basically all resources can get
into that situation (they all usually are on first startup) and having a
separate state for it would all all clients to treat it separately.

> Personally I will go for 2, but again I don't really know if Idle means
> something more than "he agent does currently nothing.".

My take would be to do this for 4.8 and (3) for master (4.9).

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring