Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012, 22:11:25 schrieb Martin Steigerwald: > Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012 schrieb Denny: > > Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012, 13:52:45 schrieb Martin Steigerwald: > > > Dear Denny, > > > = > > > Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2012 schrieb Denny: > > > > I could spent the whole day fixing new appearing Errors and Crashes > > > > of kde - pim. > > > > Is this just broken by design or why isn't there a working email > > > > client for at least 4 years? > > > > I thought with KDE 4.7.x we were over it and at least basic things > > > > kinda worked stable again. > > > > With KDE 4.8 now - nothing is working anymore, just to name a few > > > > things annoying one one on a daily basis: > > > > - Filters: broken > > > > - Crashes : several per day > > > > - email Addresses not recognised as you type > > > > - password management : broken > > > > - several empty windows popping up from ktimetracke at login .... > > > > = > > > > Am I supposed to create a new profile each and every time I upgrade > > > > to a new version and scrap all my data? > > > = > > > I understand your frustration. > > > = > > > I also find it highly frustrating when software I do use for daily > > > work does not work as I expect. > > > = > > > While I understand your feelings I do think that the accusing tone I > > > perceive in your mail does not contribute in any way to make your > > > experience better. > > > = > > > So by any means there is nothing wrong with your feelings. Feel them, > > > express them. > > > = > > > But please do not accuse anyone else for the pain you suffer. > > > = > > > Some of your options to get a different experience are in my opinion: > > > = > > > 1) Ask how you can help to make it happen that KDEPIM 2 holds up to > > > your expectations. > > = > > I that. > = > ? I did that in the past and tried to help. > = > > > 2) Use a different mail client. > > = > > While I really liked kontact and believe in the idea to share data > > across various applications, I would not like leave, like many people > > did in last month. > > Besides that, unfortunately it's not that easy. Besides the hassle to > > get everything transfered and set up, and learned to use it - there is > > just not much choice: > > 1. Outlook : windows only > > 2. Apple Mail : yep, this is my backup email program when kontact > > doesn't work. btw: version upgrades no problem, slick ,easy nice to > > use , but mac os only > > 3. evolution : hm, maybe > > 4. thunderbird : if nothing else exists, but looks relly ugly under kde > > and cluttered > > 5. Lotus Notes : > > 6. Chandler : looks very interesting and promising - not develped > > anymore since 2009 > > .... > > I spent some time the past few days searching for an alternative, so, I > > would love find one. > = > Did I get it right that you think that all other mail clients are even > less suitable for you? Are they broken by design? Apple Mail is perfectly suitable, Outlook would do as well. So the is no, b= ut = you seen the reasons. Or do you suggest, I shouldn't use Linux because ther= e = is no suitable eMail client around. > = > Sorry could not resist this one. > = > That aside: > = > How about KDEPIM 4.4.5? You should be able to use your existing data with > it. How do I back-migrate my data from akonadi / nepomuk to the old data = structure? > = > > > 3) Or use a distro that means stable when saying stable such as > > > Debian Stable. > > > A distro that still carries KDEPIM 1 as of 4.4.5. Even the > > > development branches of Debian namely Wheezy and Sid - when you feel > > > adventurous - seem to be rather stable to me and still carry KDEPIM 1 > > > for now. With Debian Stable you can still use KDEPIM 1 for at least > > > one and a half year, in my estimation at least two years to come. Of > > > cause there may be other distributions like maybe Centos that may > > > carry old KDEPIM even longer. > > = > > Chancing a distro is not really an option, although they are all linux, > > there are still differences one has to get used to again. > = > Doing a decision to relieve your frustration with KDEPIM 2 by using > another distro with KDEPIM 1 or using a different mail client is not an > option for you? Using another distro: no, because im happy with it and contribute to it as = well. Different eMail client: please see above > = > Then I see two options for you: > = > 1) Try to compile KDEPIM 4.4.5 for yourself. > = > 2) Help to make KDEPIM 2 rock for you. This is quite a lame excuse: It is simply impossible to support each an eve= ry = software you use, you can do some and have to live with the rest. > = > You might not know the exact steps for any of the two options, but I am > sure they can be learned. Please notice, some people might not have the time for additional tasks. > = > But insisting on "I am not willing to change" while demanding that KDEPIM > developers make your KDEPIM life comfortable again will not help you much > in my opinion. Oh, I'm willing to change, but to what? > = > Don=B4t get me wrong. I do think its important to stabilize KDEPIM 2. But > from what I can see KDEPIM and Nepomuk developers are already working on > it. If you want to speed up the process either help or pay for > developments and bugfixing. I wouldn't mind paying or donating if that would give me a working email = client. It wouldn't be the first time I donate for a free software project, = just to cover that before I am accused again on not helping / donating and = just demanding. > Otherwise it will take the time it takes until > KDEPIM 2 is ready and no repeated complaining here will contribute > anything to reduce that time by even one second. That is true, but making the developers aware that people are using and = relying on the software might help focusing development. > = > If you found a new issue that is not yet reported or known by all means > report it, but otherwise either help, bear with it or use an older KDEPIM > release or another mail client. I did that many times in the past. Contributed to = documentation/problemsolving... > = > Thanks, cheers, _______________________________________________ KDE PIM mailing list kde-pim@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-pim KDE PIM home page at http://pim.kde.org/