List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Maildir directory structure [Re: A sigh]
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2012-02-11 15:48:36

L=F8rdag den 11. februar 2012 16:28:28 Kevin Krammer skrev:
> On Saturday, 2012-02-11, Anders Lund wrote:
> > In kmail 1 there was both visible and hidden subdirectories, some of wh=
ich
> > had localized names. In kmail 2 ~/Mail (or wereever you store your mail)
> > is a joke - it is ALWAYS empty apart from empty cur, new and tmp
> > subdirectories.
> > =

> > Personally, I don't care much what the layout looks like, as long as ma=
il
> > is stored where the user thinks, in my case indside ~/Mail, as long as =
it
> > is just functional inside kmail. This was true until kmail 2, and it
> > should be again.
> =

> That can't be quite accurate. The KMail folders resource was specifically
> designed to work with a KMail1 mail store directory and it does not move
> mails outside of that tree.
> =

> Thus is uses exactly the same on-disk layout KMail 1 did.

Well, that might have been the intention, but it does not appear to be the =

reality. =

When doing the switch from kmail1 to kmail2, I first archieved all my folde=
rs =

in kmail1, moved ~/Mail away and recreated it by pointing a new maildir =

akonadi resource there. After starting kmail 2, I imported all the acrhieve=
s. =

The result of that was that most of that mail (all that was sucessfully =

imported) was moved into ~/.Mail.directory/<subfoldername>, which is also =

where kmail2 stores new mail. =

~/.Mail.directory have the cur, new and tmp folders everywhere, that is =

correct and I was wrong at that.

During kmail 1 times, my mail was inside ~/Mail in some hidden directory, =

there were two of each of the standard directories one of which was localiz=
ed. =

Maybe one were a link to the other, I can't remember and the last backup ar=
e =

not easy to restore or browse right now.

The difference is that now, mail is not inside ~/Mail.

I only found out by luck. Users not carefully following kdepim-users and kd=
e-
pim have no chance to know where their mail gets hidden, unless they search =

for it in hidden directories.

Anders