List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy]
From:       Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister () gmx ! net>
Date:       2011-12-12 11:03:01

Hello everyone!

What just happened to me.

I removed a kmail-folders resource pointing to ~/Mail and added a maildir-
resource pointing to ~/Mail.

I did this via systemsettings i.e. kmail was closed.

When I restarted kmail and refreshed the folders I suddenly saw that kmail had
deleted ~6000 mails off my sent folder which was part of that new resource.

I had not set any expiration settings for tha folder, neither when it was
accessed via the kmail-folders resource nor the maildir resource.

Having a look at kmail2rc I see that it contains lots of [Folder-xy] including
expiration settings.

So my guess and this happens with filters as well, is that kmail just assigns
a new number to the new folders of the new resource and keeps the settings if
that number already existed.

This must never ever happen!

The easiest that comes to my mind is giving each resource a unique-id and
using that as part of the folder's settings guaranteeing that settings for
folder a will never be applied to folder b.

This is KDE 4.7.2 plus some patches on openSUSE 12.1.

Sven