List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: Do we need a Beta3?
From:       Alex Merry <kde () randomguy3 ! me ! uk>
Date:       2010-12-10 20:27:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 10 December 2010 12:27:14 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Having an extension for the beta time by itself will not help. If nobody
> fixes bugs, they won't go away. If developers cannot find time to work on
> kdepim, that's fine, but in this case we should consider of not releasing
> kdepim together with 4.6.0. I wish we could, but releasing in its current
> state will do more harm than good, as there are obvious shortcomings both in
> migration (very important!) and daily usage.

I would agree entirely.  I use KMail2 daily, but I would not expect most
people to deal with it.  I have to restart KMail quite regularly just to get
the "unread mail" count to change, a bug that has existed for several months.
It's noticably slower than any other email client I've used recently,
including KMail1.  Virtuoso hammers my HDD for the first 5-10 minutes after I
log in, and Akonadi seems to have something to do with this.  And occasionally
I have to restart Akonadi to get it to behave.  And this is for no obvious
gain as an end user.

KMail2 is absolutely not of release quality, and I honestly can't see that
changing in the next month.  I would love to help, and I do try here and
there, but I don't have the time to both learn the large code base (between
KMail, Akonadi and the various seperated components) and do serious bug fixing.
And I think the problem is that this is the situation everyone else who would
be interested in helping is in, as well.

Alex