On Mon, 10 May 2010 12:11:25 +0200, Sebastian Kügler wrote: > Hi PIMsters, > > On Sunday 09 May 2010 17:26:55 Allen Winter wrote: >> On Wednesday 14 April 2010 10:28:35 am toma wrote: >> > Akonadi will have a meeting from may 13th to may 16th. During this >> > meeting we will hack at some small features. As kdepim is undergoing >> > major changes due to the conversion to the Akonadi pillar, it is >> > difficult to implement no new features during such a meeting. >> > >> > More importantly there will be an API review of new API introduced in >> > the >> > KDE 4.5 development cycle. This usually means tons of little changes, >> > such as renames and additional consts, etc. >> > >> > I hereby ask an exception from the soft API freeze and Feature Freeze >> > during this meeting. In practise, that means we might slip in one or >> > two >> > features and we won't mail the kde-bindings people on API changes for >> > kdepimlibs and kdepim. >> > >> > I hope this is ok. > > Please still notify the bindings teams of those changes. Exception doesn't > mean that > no communication is needed, but that "unexpected API changes might show > up". In the > release-team, regular trouble is API changes that aren't yet reflected in > bindings > (hence the API freeze in our current schedule), so we shouldn't void that > by not even > notifying people who need to get into action for a release that builds. As the binding people have announce to move the bindings to kdepimlibs, I don't think it is needed, but if you insist... >> This request has been here for several weeks without objection. >> Let's assume this request has been granted. > > I'd be very interested in the KMail porting status as of now. As we're > roughly around > feature freeze, I'd expect the KMail Akonadi port to be finished by now. > Also, in the > case of an email client, we might need more testing to not harm our user > base. > > I didn't find the KAddressbook migration in 4.3 to be smooth at all (loss > of > features, hangs in KMail, no migration of my existing data). I've yet to > see one > machine where it was transparant to the users, and judging by the PIM > list, the > issues are on the radar of the PIM team. If that experience is anything to > go by for > 4.5 and the KMail migration, I'm very concerned (of my own data and setup > time, but > also for many of our users who are less patient than I am in this regard). > I think we > need to apply special care and QA here to not burn many of our users. Can > you soothen > my concerns? > > When would be a good moment to start testing KDE PIM 4.5? I've svn > switched those > modules to the 4.4 version until further notice when you guys began > porting, but > haven't seen any meaningful communication about stability and progress of > this > critical KDE SC component. > > Thanks, That's one of the goals of the meeting. I will sent a summary after the meeting. -- Tom Albers KDE Developer _______________________________________________ KDE PIM mailing list kde-pim@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-pim KDE PIM home page at http://pim.kde.org/