List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)
From:       "Dr. Robert Marmorstein" <robert () narnia ! homeunix ! com>
Date:       2010-03-23 1:14:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> My experience certainly bears that out - family members tell me that 'it
> said something was wrong', and they've close the error message before I
> can see it

I think I see what you're getting at here, but users like this aren't going to
look at (or understand) a "plain English" message either.  I think it's a
mistake to try to "dumb down" the interface to accommodate the "idiot" user.
It makes things harder for the general public of reasonably competent users
and the idiot user is usually too uninformed to benefit from it anyway.  A
better approach is to provide tools and resources to better educate the user
(or allow the user to educate him/her self).  If we do that, a user who cannot
figure out what's going on (for themselves) can usually find someone who is able
to do so (using Google, or the built-in documentation).

I think we do a great job of providing these tools using userbase and
community.kde.org.

Robert