List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-03-21 17:57:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 16 March 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi ...
>
> first: apologies for the cross posting. at least you can see that it
> isn't - just- your projects that suffer from the issue below, though
> ;)
>
> ok, so the point of this email is to note the obvious: displaying
> jargon to the user is bad. the average computer user does not know
> what "compositing", "akonadi" or "nepomuk" are. they do understand
> what "desktop effects"[1], "personal information service"[2] or
> "search service" is.

Akonadi is worse than "personal information service", but the latter
still is part of a domain specific language most users won't understand.

In my experience nobody knows what "personal information" is supposed to
be. Quite frankly, if I wouldn't know what "personal information" (in
the context of PIM) means I'd read it as "information about my person".
Maybe that's a language barrier thing.

(FWIW, Wikipedia doesn't have an entry for "personal information" which
IMHO is a good indicator for a term that is not a widely known.)

Unfortunately, I don't know a better term. :-(

Regards,
Ingo