List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] syncml gSoC - further info and some ideas
From:       Adenilson Cavalcanti <savagobr () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-05-12 18:08:39

Sascha

> We (Kevin and me) actually expanded it quite a bit in terms of what I would
> like to accomplish and how.

Kevin has sent to me the updated proposal and I have just read it. I got to say that \
the scope increased a little, don't you think? ;-)

> Yes and I still haven't decided about that yet, see below...

Since your project aims to support KDE (a desktop environment), maybe libsyncml \
should be chosen since it has bluetooth transport implemented.

Nowadays every notebook has it already and even the cheaper cellphones has it too. If \
you go with funambol, you will be stuck with HTTP transport and having to either:

- not support local cellphone sync and support only remote syncml servers

or

- require that both the host computer *and* the cellphone being connected on the same \
network to make sync possible. It would require the cellphone to have wifi \
connectivity if using a wireless access point (an not all cellphones has it)

or

- setup a bluetooth wireless network (a bit scary for common users, since it require \
to set the AP on cellphone too)

or

- write a BlueZ transport for funambol (a bit out of scope of your project).

Considering all those points, I think that libsyncml is the way to go.

> The interesting part is what will be hidden, since the "higher level" API is
> not documented and all current documentation states that the API is "low
> level"..

I have recently discussed the subject with libsyncml primary developer and \
maintainer. As long you stay with the public DS API and data sync API (in "High Level \
API" of doxygen documentation), it will be fine with future releases of libsyncml.

Maybe a good starting point for learning how to use it is the syncml-ds-tool.c in \
'tools' directory. This CLI tool supports both calendar/contacts/etc when accessing \
either a remote server (using HTTP) or a local mobile device (using bluetooth).

Best regards

Adenilson