List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] spam-filtering, introduce "unsure" folder
From:       Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-05-10 10:42:41

Hello everybody!

Some time ago I wrote to the bogofilter mailinglist because I found that many
users do not mark email as ham if it appears in their inbox. They only take
action if there was a wrong decision, i.e. if ham is in the inbox, there is no
need to emphasise that implicit "decision" by marking it explicitly as ham.
Hence bogofilter never actually starts to kick-in.

http://www.bogofilter.org/pipermail/bogofilter/2009-January/009572.html

From the conversation in that thread I gathered that while bogofilter has an
"unsure" state, kmail does not use it.

http://www.bogofilter.org/pipermail/bogofilter/2009-January/009576.html

Currently there are only two directions for incoming mail when bogofilter was
just enabled, trash or inbox. Trash is a bad idea, because there are certainly
false positives and inbox isn't that good either because it mediates that the
all mails in it are not spam.

If kmail would filter emails into an unsure folder, the user would see that
bogofilter is actually working, which is already an improvement. Further the
unsure folder is not the trash, so the user is not afraid of losing email and
finally since "unsure" is a state that needs further processing, the user will
take some action on those emails which is what bogofilter needs.

In a worst case scenario the user just moves the emails back into the inbox
and marks the spam as spam. However, those that get the hint will use the
ham/spam buttons to process the email and use them to move them to the inbox
or the trash respectively.

If kmail would use a spam-folder by default instead of the trash, this spam-
folder could act as the unsure folder.

Sven