List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Working 2-way sync between KDE PIM and PDA / Phone?
From:       Gunter Ohrner <G.Ohrner () post ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2008-12-05 17:36:34

tic wrote:
> I've been syncing my Treo for the last 3 years at least with KPilot
> and had (almost) no problems. I admit, sometimes it's a bit touchy but
> syncing address book and organizer works good enough for me.

Ok, after reading Jasper's recent mail concerning kpilot and KDE 4.2, I now ordered a \
Palm Centro with PalmOS Garnet.

While using KDE 3 its kpilot worked quite well for me with my PalmOS 4.1 WristPDA for \
quite some time before it suddenly stopped functioning. Unfortunately I had not time \
to pursue these problems back then, however.

However, as kpilot is being actively developed for KDE 4.2, PalmOS currently seems to \
be the only choice which at least possibly might be able to sync with KDE PIM... ;)

Unfortunately I will only be able to give the requested "end user testing feedback" \
as soon as there are KDE 4.2 test packages for Debian as I'm not currently in the \
mood of compiling KDE on my own... :-(

> The biggest problem I experience when I try to sync the phone with a
> second computer. Then it messed things up last time I tried (backups
> can be helpful).

Yes, that happened to me with kpilot from KDE 3 as well, it took me two days to clean \
up the mess... ;)

> The biggest problem here is actually that PalmOne is trying very hard
> to go bankrupt as soon as possible.

Unfortunately yes, and I consider PalmOS in general to be dead. However, I will also \
ride a dead horse as long as it works sufficiently well for me... ;) And maybe when \
PalmOS finally really dies, OpenSync and its KDE PIM plugin will be finished and \
stable... ;)

Greetings,

  Gunter