List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KMail Usability Issues
From:       Rafael =?iso-8859-15?q?Fern=E1ndez_L=F3pez?= <ereslibre () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-16 14:50:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

It seems I have told on IRC something that was being discussed in this list.

> "Mark thread as important" marks all messages that are currently in the
> thread as important. It does not mark the thread itself as important.

Well, this is in the best case surprising. I read "mark thread as important"
as "mark thread as important" not as "mark all current messages in thread as
important". Well, I'd expect the second if the menu entry would have been
"mark all current messages in this thread as important", but it doesn't.

I really consider comparing "mark thread as read" and "mark thread as
important" are different things.

Imagine a folder in real life with subfolders in it. "Mark thread as read"
would be like "i have read all this", while "mark thread as important" is to
post a stick to it, so all incoming new messages in there should be important
in the sense that they are in the thread marked as important.

Obviously from my POV "mark thread as read" is different in the sense that
when I right click on my inbox: "mark all messages as read", the new incoming
messages are _obviously_ not marked as read. So for me, there is no point on
comparing "mark thread as read" and "mark thread as important".

However if this use case is so problematic I'd go for the "Mark thread" menu
fully removal, letting only "Mark Message".  I, as a user, would mark the
"root" message of the thread as important so when I sort by important for
instance, I get the whole thread  if the root message was marked as important
(not as before, that you get only the messages marked as important).

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.